East Bay News
3-alarm fire routes Oakland waterfront restaurant
OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- Oakland fire investigators are on the scene of a fire that destroyed a waterfront restaurant and a boat.
The fire at Tiki Tom's restaurant, located at 300 29th Avenue, was reported Thursday night around 11:15.
There were environmental concerns in the Oakland Estuary because a side of the restaurant faces the water next to the Park Street Bridge. The fire department and Coast Guard crews got boom out into the water as soon as they could to try to contain debris and runoff from firefighting. So far they are saying that there are no environmental concerns.
When firefighters got there, it was already engulfed in flames. The roof collapsed and it took three hours to control.
A boat docked behind the restaurant also caught fire. Some believed that it was the owner's boat. The 20 foot cabin cruiser broke loose, floated a bit down the estuary and then sank.
Since the restaurant was closed and secured when firefighters got there, they didn't have quick access into the building. To stay safe, crews had to tackle it from outside.
"We were not going to go inside this fire and fight it from the inside. It was a defensive fire from the onset," said Oakland Fire Batt. Chief Emon Usher.
"Is the building destroyed completely?" asked ABC7's Teresa Garcia.
"Total loss," said Usher.
Tiki Tom's had taken over a former restaurant at the same waterfront location a few years ago. No one has been able to get a hold of the owner Tom Davies.
A Tiki Tom's limo for sale outside the restaurant didn't burn, but debris did fall all around it. Some neighbors believe the owner may have been having financial struggles with the business.
The fire didn't damage any other buildings and no one was hurt. At this point, building inspectors are out here determining whether the structure.
oakland, fire, east bay news, teresa garcia
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off 59 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 50 min ago
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF 17 min ago
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 33 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
29 min ago
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's...
59 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos