East Bay News
Crews contain fire at Tesoro refinery
MARTINEZ, CA -- Crews have controlled a fire in a holding tank at the Tesoro Golden Eagle refinery in Martinez this afternoon, a refinery spokesman said.
At about 12:20 p.m., a contractor performing maintenance on a refinery tank, which had about 3 feet of diesel fuel on top of processing water, reported that the diesel had caught fire, Tesoro spokesman Mike Marcy said.
Fire crews managed by the refinery responded to the incident and had the fire controlled by about 3 p.m.
"The smoke at one point was approximately 200 feet in the air," Marcy said.
One contractor who was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation was expected to be released later today.
No other injuries were reported.
No evacuations were ordered, Marcy said, and a Tesoro specialist driving through neighboring communities did not report smelling any residual odor after the fire was extinguished.
The Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office, the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District and the Bay Area Air Quality Management District were notified of the incident.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The refinery is located near the junction of state Highway 4 and Interstate Highway 680.
contra costa county, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday