East Bay News
Power restored to PG&E customers hit by Sunday outage
OAKLAND, CA -- Power has been restored to thousands of PG&E customers affected by an outage in Oakland on Sunday, a PG&E spokesman said this morning.
Sunday's stormy weather caused equipment failures that knocked out power to roughly 15,000 customers in Oakland at about 2 p.m., PG&E spokesman J.D. Guidi said.
PG&E crews gradually restored power, and the last customers got their electricity back shortly before 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Guidi said.
The Oakland Police Department at 455 Seventh St. lost power between 2 p.m. and 8:45 p.m., police Officer J. Moore said.
An Oakland fire station at 16th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Way was without power between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., a dispatcher said.
The dispatcher said the fire station used a generator to restore power, but glitches prevented the generator from powering the building until 4 p.m.
There were no reports of technical difficulties with the 911 emergency system while the power was out.
The outage also caused station closures and delays to the BART system, BART spokesman Linton Johnson said.
The lights went out at the 12th Street/Oakland City Center and Lake Merritt stations, and trains were temporarily unable to stop at those stations.
System-wide delays occurred after trains were unable pass through an area where several train rails converge and then split.
As of 8:35 p.m., all BART stations were fully operational, Johnson said. A BART employee said trains were running on time as of 9 p.m.
oakland, power outage, BART, east bay news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee; Shampoo
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 16 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
17 min ago