East Bay News
Free flu vaccines in Contra Costa County
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- On Nov. 10, Contra Costa Health Services will be offering free flu vaccines in nine cities in the county.
> This year's vaccine will provide immunity to the H1N1 virus and two other strains of the flu in a single shot. Children under 9 years old, however, will need two doses one month apart if it is the first time the child has received a flu vaccine or if the child has never been vaccinated for H1N1, according to the health services department.
Nasal spray vaccines will also be available at the sites, but can only be used in healthy people who are between the ages of 2 and 49 and are not pregnant.
The health services department is recommending that everyone over 6 months old get a flu vaccine, especially pregnant women and people who have contact with young children.
Flu viruses pose the most danger to infants and elderly people and can cause severe illness and even death.
People infected with the virus can be contagious 24 hours before they start experiencing symptoms.
The free vaccination clinics will be held from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Nov. 10 at 403 Civic Center Plaza in Richmond; 5050 El Portal Dr. in El Sobrante; 5298 Clayton Rd. in Concord; 30 Muir Rd. in Martinez; 952 Moraga Rd. in Lafayette; 655 Old Orchard Dr. in Danville; 200 Marina Blvd. in Pittsburg; 1919 Buchanan Rd. in Antioch; and 30 Learning Lane in Brentwood.
Flu vaccine is also available from health care providers and at local pharmacies, grocery stores and community clinics.
contra costa county, flu, east bay news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday