East Bay News
Disoriented sea lion found wandering streets
OAKLEY, Calif. -- A disoriented sea lion appears to be in good condition after she was found wandering the East Bay streets near Oakley on Saturday, a spokesman for the Marine Mammal Center said today.
A member of the public notified Contra Costa County animal control officials that the adult female sea lion was seen near Knightsen Elementary School, mammal center spokesman Jim Oswald said.
Animal control officers were able to guide the sea lion off the street into a fenced area at the school until volunteer responders from Sausalito's Marine Mammal Center were able to retrieve her, Oswald said.
The sea lion, who was named Na'au and had been retrieved by the mammal center on two prior occasions, was identified by an microchip in her flipper.
Na'au suffers from domoic acid poisoning, a disease contracted by animals that feed on fish that have eaten toxic algae, Oswald said. The disease is known to impact an animal's ability to navigate, which could explain why she was found beached in the far East Bay.
"We're really trying to determine how toxic the poisoning is," Oswald said. If the condition is determined to be chronic, Na'au might not be re-released into the wild.
"Veterinarians will determine the best course of action," Oswald said. Depending on her diagnosis, Na'au could be placed in an aquarium or euthanized.
The Marine Mammal Center has rescued more than 970 mammals this year, Oswald said.
"The normal yearly average is around 600," he said. "There's definitely something going on."
contra costa county, oakley, animal, animals in peril, east bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 56 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ 47 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train 23 min ago
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 9 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 35 min ago
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA 16 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Cal housing vote; Candlestick soccer
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
23 min ago