East Bay News
East Bay cities receive grant to fight gangs
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KGO) -- Three Bay Area cities received a boost today in their effort to fight gang violence, as Gov. Schwarzenegger handed out $9 million worth of grants to 24 California communities.
Oakland, Hayward and Richmond each received $369,000. The cities were picked based on 20 factors, including the number of gang related murders and other crimes.
Schwarzenegger says the grants will help prevent and fight gang violence and make California streets safer.
gang violence, arnold schwarzenegger, richmond, hayward, oakland, east bay news
- Bay Area communities wake up to freezing temps
- Family, friends hold out hope for missing family
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- BART unions file lawsuit against transit agency
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- New video released of suspect who threw 2 cats into bay
- USPS looking for volunteers to answer letters to Santa
- Lockheed Martin challenges engineers to build a car in 1 day
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SJ police contract; Construction moritorium
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos