East Bay News
Students overcome by strong fumes
MORAGA, Calif. -- A student at Camino Pablo Elementary School in Moraga was taken to the hospital today after he spilled some chemicals on his desk during a science class, Moraga-Orinda Fire District Battalion Chief Sean Perkins said.
Perkins said that at about 1 p.m., students in a classroom at the school, located at 1111 Camino Pablo, were conducting experiments with household products when one boy spilled some bleach and vinegar on his desk and "took a big whiff of it."
The boy was given oxygen and taken to a local hospital, and is doing fine, Perkins said.
While this was happening, other children started pouring their chemicals into a sink, which caused them to be mixed together.
When firefighters asked if anyone else was feeling sick, 10 more children raised their hands, Perkins said.
Their parents were called to the school to pick them up, Perkins said, but none of them appeared to need any medical care.
moraga, east bay news
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea 55 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos