East Bay News
No gunman found after school evacuation
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- La Escuelita Elementary School in Oakland was placed on lockdown and students were evacuated as police searched the campus for a reported gunman Monday afternoon.
The school was placed on lockdown around 12:30 p.m. after police received a phone call from a person claiming to be a janitor at the school saying that a man armed with a rifle was on or near the campus. The school claims they have no record of a janitor with the name that the tipster gave police.
Police spent the afternoon evacuating the school room by room and escorting the 250 kidergarten through fifth graders to a nearby location where they were picked up by their anxious parents.
As officers armed with rifles stood watch from nearby rooftops, officers brought out their SWAT gear and searched the campus. As of 5 p.m., no gunman had been found.
oakland, school lockdown, evacuation, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 16 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 8 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos