East Bay News
No gunman found after school evacuation
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- La Escuelita Elementary School in Oakland was placed on lockdown and students were evacuated as police searched the campus for a reported gunman Monday afternoon.
The school was placed on lockdown around 12:30 p.m. after police received a phone call from a person claiming to be a janitor at the school saying that a man armed with a rifle was on or near the campus. The school claims they have no record of a janitor with the name that the tipster gave police.
Police spent the afternoon evacuating the school room by room and escorting the 250 kidergarten through fifth graders to a nearby location where they were picked up by their anxious parents.
As officers armed with rifles stood watch from nearby rooftops, officers brought out their SWAT gear and searched the campus. As of 5 p.m., no gunman had been found.
oakland, school lockdown, evacuation, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 34 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 49 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 36 min ago
- Family of slain TSA agent files claim for $25M 12 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 45 min ago
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members 17 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 51 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 56 min ago