East Bay News
Officers break up 180 person brawl at Emeryville bar
EMERYVILLE (KGO) -- A brawl involving an estimated 180 people at Kitty's bar in Emeryville early this morning was so wild and chaotic that it took 35 officers from five different agencies to bring it under control, according to police.
Emeryville police Sgt. Fred Dauer said one officer suffered minor injuries while trying to break up the melee at the bar at 6702 Hollis St. and two other officers were assaulted but weren't injured.
Two people were arrested on misdemeanor charges of obstructing, resisting and delaying police officers, Dauer said.
At least one person who was involved in the brawl was injured but left the scene without seeking medical attention or help from police, he said.
Dauer said that at about 1:25 a.m., acting Emeryville Sgt. Richard Lee was flagged down by security guards at Kitty's who said there was a large fight involving patrons with knives and guns.
Officers didn't see any weapons, although they did see people brandishing bottles and broom handles, Dauer said.
Lee asked for assistance from the four other Emeryville officers who were on duty at that hour. They tried to get everyone to disperse but were unsuccessful, Dauer said.
Kitty's patrons continued to fight on the street and turned on officers who tried to come to the assistance of a man who was on the ground and was being kicked by several people, according to Dauer.
The Emeryville officers then called for assistance from officers from Oakland, Berkeley, the California Highway Patrol and University of California at Berkeley, he said.
About 30 officers from the other agencies responded and helped Emeryville police get the situation under control by 1:45 a.m., Dauer said.
He said there have been other problems at Kitty's before in which Emeryville police have also had to ask for assistance from other agencies, but the incident today "was the worst incident we've had."
Kitty's officials couldn't be reached for comment.
The bar's website says Kitty's was established in 2005 and is "the spot in the East Bay to check out the best DJ's spinning reggae, old skool funk, R'n'B, salsa timba, reggaeton, samba and more."
emeryville, east bay news
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 7 min ago
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 42 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case 21 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Drought prompts officials to release water...
42 min ago