East Bay News
Oakland business sweetens up Valentine's Day
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Valentine's Day is Monday and it is the busiest day of the year for some specialized businesses. Florists and candy makers have their biggest day, and one chocolate maker ramps up production of his gourmet chocolates all by himself.
Michael Mischer makes artisan chocolates in his small shop on Grand Avenue in Oakland. He came to the Bay Area from Northern Germany 25 years ago where he was a pastry chef. He continued in the pastry business in Northern California until he opened his own shop in Oakland in 2004. The place looks like an art gallery than a candy store.
"It's kind of an old fashioned thing because I still enjoy my craft," he said.
His chocolates are all hand made -- so it is much more labor intensive than so-called "manufactured" chocolates. He also creates all of his own fillings. The secret to good chocolate is its freshness, so Michael ramps up his production two weeks before the big day.
"Because I do make products fresh, I really can't start up in December to stock up, So I work really long hours the last two weeks," he said.
If you can't make it to Michael's chocolaterie, the fine confections are also sold at specialty shops. Ironically, his shop is right next door to a Weight Watchers.
food, valentine's day, oakland, east bay news, don sanchez
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident 14 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 33 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 37 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos