East Bay News
Police admit dog handler didn't follow proper procedures
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- The San Leandro Police Department admitted Friday that the handler of a police dog didn't follow proper procedures in an off-duty incident in Brentwood in December in which the police dog attacked and killed another dog.
In a terse statement about the Dec. 26 incident involving the police dog Arago, San Leandro police said, "The department has determined that the canine's handler did not follow proper procedures related to Arago's control and supervision."
The department said "the handler has taken responsibility for this incident" but said further details of their administrative investigation are confidential and exempt from disclosure pursuant to state law.
Police spokesman Lt. Jeff Tudor referred inquiries to San Leandro City Attorney Jayne Williams, who wasn't immediately available for comment.
Adam Lovell said he was walking Chloe, his 6-year-old Finnish Spitz, on a leash along a trail behind his house in Brentwood when the dog was attacked by Arago, who is one of three San Leandro police dogs. Arago's handler was not present and the police dog was being walked by someone else.
Lovell said Arago bit Chloe in the back, above her tail, and wouldn't let go. He rushed Chloe to a veterinarian for emergency surgery but she died two days later.
animal, dog attack, san leandro, east bay news
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos