East Bay News
Police admit dog handler didn't follow proper procedures
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. -- The San Leandro Police Department admitted Friday that the handler of a police dog didn't follow proper procedures in an off-duty incident in Brentwood in December in which the police dog attacked and killed another dog.
In a terse statement about the Dec. 26 incident involving the police dog Arago, San Leandro police said, "The department has determined that the canine's handler did not follow proper procedures related to Arago's control and supervision."
The department said "the handler has taken responsibility for this incident" but said further details of their administrative investigation are confidential and exempt from disclosure pursuant to state law.
Police spokesman Lt. Jeff Tudor referred inquiries to San Leandro City Attorney Jayne Williams, who wasn't immediately available for comment.
Adam Lovell said he was walking Chloe, his 6-year-old Finnish Spitz, on a leash along a trail behind his house in Brentwood when the dog was attacked by Arago, who is one of three San Leandro police dogs. Arago's handler was not present and the police dog was being walked by someone else.
Lovell said Arago bit Chloe in the back, above her tail, and wouldn't let go. He rushed Chloe to a veterinarian for emergency surgery but she died two days later.
animal, dog attack, san leandro, east bay news
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions 9 min ago
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Journey guitarist to get married in SF on pay-per-view 11 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday