East Bay News
Power restored after Berkeley outage
BERKELEY, Calif. -- Power was fully restored Tuesday afternoon to 27,000 PG&E customers in Berkeley affected by an outage earlier Tuesday that shut down two BART stations, a utility spokeswoman said.
The outage began at about 11:15 a.m., spokeswoman Fiona Chan said. Power was restored at about 12:45 p.m. to all but 3,000 customers affected by the outage, Chan said. The North Berkeley and downtown BART stations, which had been closed during the outage, got power back at that time.
BART trains ran at reduced speeds through Berkeley during the outage and did not stop at those two stations, agency spokesman Jim Allison.
Allison said the stations were reopened at about 1 p.m., and trains were expected to be running at full speed soon after. Delays were reported on the Richmond line in the Richmond, Fremont and Millbrae directions while the power was out.
Power was fully restored by 1:50 p.m.
The outage affected a portion of downtown Berkeley between Martin Luther King Jr. Way and Fulton Street, from Cedar Street to Bancroft Way, Chan said.
The area from University Avenue south to Bancroft Way was also in the dark between Martin Luther King Jr. Way and Shattuck Avenue.
Another area north of the university campus, from Hearst Avenue to Le Conte Avenue, was also impacted between Oxford Street and Highland Place.
The cause of the outage was still under investigation this afternoon, Chan said.
power outage, PG&E, BART, berkeley, east bay news
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland kicks off summer food program for...
7 min ago