East Bay News
Confessed killer to testify in Bailey murder trial
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A one-time soldier of Oakland's Your Black Muslim Bakery and the admitted shooter of Chauncey Bailey began his testimony on Thursday as the star witness in the journalist's murder trial.
Devaughndre Broussard, told jurors he learned about the bakery through a family friend on the eve of his release from jail. He headed to the Oakland institution looking for a job. During his first meeting with leader Yusuf Bey IV, Broussard said he underwent a "thorough" pat down from a bakery member, in which the man searched inside Broussard's collar and shoes.
The 23-year-old said fellow soldiers were doing drills and callisthenic exercises in formation, and it was his understanding that Bey "needed more soldiers."
Asked by prosecutor Melissa Krum to explain the term, Broussard said, "He needed people that were willing to be there, and that were willing to sacrifice." Broussard will serve 25 years in exchange for his testimony against Bey and fellow bakery soldier Antoine Mackey.
Bey is accused of ordering the hit on Bailey. Mackey is accused of helping to hunt Bailey down and driving the getaway car. Both have pleaded not guilty. Broussard admitted to shooting Bailey three times as the Oakland Post editor walked to work August 2, 2007. Prosecutors say Bey wanted the journalist dead because he planned to publish an article on the bakery's financial troubles.
oakland, alameda county, crime, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Time announces finalists for Person of the Year 47 min ago
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos