East Bay News
Confessed killer to testify in Bailey murder trial
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A one-time soldier of Oakland's Your Black Muslim Bakery and the admitted shooter of Chauncey Bailey began his testimony on Thursday as the star witness in the journalist's murder trial.
Devaughndre Broussard, told jurors he learned about the bakery through a family friend on the eve of his release from jail. He headed to the Oakland institution looking for a job. During his first meeting with leader Yusuf Bey IV, Broussard said he underwent a "thorough" pat down from a bakery member, in which the man searched inside Broussard's collar and shoes.
The 23-year-old said fellow soldiers were doing drills and callisthenic exercises in formation, and it was his understanding that Bey "needed more soldiers."
Asked by prosecutor Melissa Krum to explain the term, Broussard said, "He needed people that were willing to be there, and that were willing to sacrifice." Broussard will serve 25 years in exchange for his testimony against Bey and fellow bakery soldier Antoine Mackey.
Bey is accused of ordering the hit on Bailey. Mackey is accused of helping to hunt Bailey down and driving the getaway car. Both have pleaded not guilty. Broussard admitted to shooting Bailey three times as the Oakland Post editor walked to work August 2, 2007. Prosecutors say Bey wanted the journalist dead because he planned to publish an article on the bakery's financial troubles.
oakland, alameda county, crime, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 40 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
42 min ago
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
58 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
40 min ago