East Bay News
Toddler found wandering Walmart parking lot
PLEASANTON, Calif. -- A 2-year-old boy who was found in the parking lot of a Pleasanton Walmart store early Thursday morning after he wandered out of his apartment and across a four-lane road has been reunited with his mother, police said.
A manager at the Walmart, located at 4501 Rosewood Drive, had stepped outside to take a break at about 3 a.m. and found the boy in the parking lot, barefoot and wearing only a white T-shirt and a diaper, police Sgt. Maria Munayer said.
The manager called police, who searched the area but were unable to find the boy's parents, and officers brought the boy to the Child Protective Services intake center, Munayer said.
At about 6 a.m., police received a frantic 911 call from a woman who said her young son was missing from her home at the Archstone Hacienda apartments, across Owens Drive from the Walmart.
It appears the boy let himself out through the front door, which was built to Americans with Disabilities Act standards to accommodate people in a wheelchair, Munayer said.
"It would have been pretty easy for the child to have gone out the front door because the apartment is ADA compliant, meaning that the door handle is positioned very low on the door," she said.
The child was uninjured and is in "very good spirits," Munayer said. He has been reunited with his mother.
walmart, pleasanton, east bay news
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers 9 min ago
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday