East Bay News
Small plane crashes into San Leandro Bay
ALAMEDA, Calif. (KGO) -- In the East Bay, a single-engine plane crashed into the estuary just east of the Oakland Airport.
The small plane went down around 3:40 p.m. in the water near Doolittle Drive and Harbor Way Parkway. The pilot had just taken off from the Oakland Airport and was seen having engine trouble by witnesses from the ground. The FAA reports the pilot was the only one on board and he was killed.
The U.S. Coast Guard, Oakland and Alameda County firefighters responded to the crash.
ABC7 spoke to witnesses who were across the street playing soccer when they noticed the plane having problems. The engine cut out, they say, and then the pilot was headed straight for a recreational area where a family was sitting at a picnic table.
"The airplane [came] around here, probably through the shoreline, the engine cut off and he crashed into the shoreline right there. But I guess he was trying to level it, but there was a family there and I guess he didn't want to kill them or anything&we rushed over to try to help him out, all of us and my dad as well, and tried to get him out, but the mud was too dense," said witness Christian Ontiveros.
The plane was manufactured in 1947 and was registered out of San Mateo County. The pilot has been identified as 73-year-old Richard Manuel.
alameda, oakland international airport, plane crash, east bay news, lilian kim
- Police make arrest in Daly City shooting
- Relative talks about stowaway teen's struggles
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Oakland A's reject 10-year Coliseum lease offer
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- Prosecutors lay out evidence against Supervisor Carrillo
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- Tentative deal reached in TSA breast-milk lawsuit
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan