East Bay News
Atheists, evangelical group at odds over billboard
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A billboard battle is popping up in the Bay Area between atheists and an evangelical group.
They are asking non-believers to save their souls before it's too late. These messages were not sent from above, but rather from a nonprofit evangelical group called Family Radio. According to the group's website, May 21 is the day of rapture.
"We are commanded by God in Ezekiel 33 to blow the trumpet and that's exactly what's taken place right now," Michael Garcia from Family Radio said.
Because Family Radio is based in Oakland, a group challenging their belief in the day of rapture have posted signs like, "You know it is nonsense." ABC7 spoke to the President of the American Atheist David Silverman via phone.
"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people. Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are," he said.
"Beseech him while the day is still here, while salvation is still possible, because God will close the door on May 21," Garcia said.
The American Atheists are planning regional celebratory meetings on May 21 and 22.
oakland, east bay news
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
45 min ago