East Bay News
Atheists, evangelical group at odds over billboard
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A billboard battle is popping up in the Bay Area between atheists and an evangelical group.
They are asking non-believers to save their souls before it's too late. These messages were not sent from above, but rather from a nonprofit evangelical group called Family Radio. According to the group's website, May 21 is the day of rapture.
"We are commanded by God in Ezekiel 33 to blow the trumpet and that's exactly what's taken place right now," Michael Garcia from Family Radio said.
Because Family Radio is based in Oakland, a group challenging their belief in the day of rapture have posted signs like, "You know it is nonsense." ABC7 spoke to the President of the American Atheist David Silverman via phone.
"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people. Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are," he said.
"Beseech him while the day is still here, while salvation is still possible, because God will close the door on May 21," Garcia said.
The American Atheists are planning regional celebratory meetings on May 21 and 22.
oakland, east bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans 40 min ago
- Supermodel Gisele's breastfeeding pic stirs debate
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 50 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
31 min ago