East Bay News
East Bay job fair to be held Tuesday
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- With unemployment still running high, there's an opportunity for job-seekers in the East Bay on Tuesday. A job fair co-sponsored by ABC7 and the Job Journal is an event that provides hope to some of those looking for work.
Jenine Smith is a former administrator at a job services company who has been out of work for a year and a half.
"It's annoying, but I just kind of feel that something's going to happen, shortly," said Smith.
At the Oakland Career Center East Bay the number of registered job-seekers has nearly doubled in the past year.
When asked if people are forced to reinvent themselves, Melbra Watts from the Oakland Private Industry Council said, "Absolutely&all kinds of ways. Whether it's taking what they've learned and repackaging it for whatever the new way of doing the business was that they used to do, or many of them are taking their expertise and becoming entrepreneurs."
Former truck driver Kim Williams just finished electrician's school.
"I just started. There seems to be some opportunities. I've got to get some resumes together, but I'm hopeful," said Williams.
According to the California Employment Development Department, in the past year, the East Bay has lost jobs in manufacturing, construction and government, but gained some in the professional, scientific and technical services sectors.
Securitas is among 16 employers that will participate in Tuesday's East Bay HIREvent in Emeryville, co-sponsored by ABC7 with the Job Journal.
"Security is a customer service business so we are looking for people who are customer service oriented that want to work with the public that also have a willingness to want to move up in the company as well," said Najah Trotty from Securitas.
Smith plans to attend the Emeryville job fair where 300 positions will be available.
"It's not all doom and gloom because mostly everybody I know is working," said Smith.
As of March, the East Bay's unemployment rate is about 11 percent, still below the 12.3 percent rate reported statewide.
Free Job Fair
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Noon - 4 p.m.
1800 Powell Street
Hilton Garden Inn
jobs, emeryville, east bay news, laura anthony
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 43 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 21 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
12 min ago