East Bay News
Prosecution rests in Bailey murder trial
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- After nearly 70 witnesses, 167 pieces of evidence, and more than six weeks of testimony, the prosecution rested its case Tuesday in the murder of Oakland journalist Chauncey Bailey. Defense attorneys for Your Black Muslim Bakery leader Yusuf Bey IV and another bakery associate plan to argue a very different case, starting Wednesday. They say they will lay out a strikingly different and much shorter version of events.
Defense attorneys will not make any opening statements. They will call just a handful of witnesses and wrap up in a couple of days.
The lawyer for Bey IV, Gene Peretti, says prosecutors have so far failed to prove the former leader of Your Black Muslim Bakery ordered a hit on the Oakland Post editor to silence him
"In fact, I'm really prepared to rely on the state of the evidence the way it is right now," said Peretti.
Prosecutor Melissa Krum made her case without speaking to reporters.
Bey IV's lawyer says he will call just one witness. He would only say who it will not be -- Bey IV.
"I don't think there's sufficient evidence to prove his guilt, and I don't see any point in him taking the stand," said Peretti.
The prosecution's final witness was Oakland Police Sgt. Derwin Longmire. Criticized for having a close relationship with the bakery, he denied promising Bey IV that he would not be charged with Bailey's murder.
Defense attorneys will turn their attention back to the trial's star witness, Devaughndre Broussard. They hope to challenge the credibility of the former bakery member who says he followed Bey IV's order and shot Bailey in the head as he walked to work.
"We're going to put some witnesses on kind of jointly, partly to impeach Mr. Broussard even more, if that's possible," said Peretti.
Attorneys could give their closing arguments as soon as next week, and after that, this case will be handed over to the jury for deliberations.
oakland, murder, trials, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 13 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos