East Bay News
Suspect caught after shooting at cop in Pittsburg
PITTSBURG, Calif. (KGO) -- The search for the gunman who opened fire on a police car in Pittsburg ended late Tuesday night with his surrender. It all started late Tuesday afternoon near Atlantic and Railroad avenues, near the Atlantic Plaza Shopping Center. The neighborhood was locked down for hours while police with guns drawn searched for the suspect.
Police shouted on a bullhorn for the man to come out of a house. That's when 27-year-old Dyrell Jones, dirty after hiding out in the attic, limped out with his hands up. Before he came out, a resident who lived inside the home, told ABC7 he was Jones' friend and he used some gauze and peroxide to patch up the bullet wound behind the suspect's knee.
The friend, who wanted to remain anonymous, told ABC7 there wasn't a bullet exit wound and said, "He's still carrying the bullet." The friend also said Jones called him from the attic because he wanted a cigarette.
Earlier in the day, police say Jones fired at least seven rounds at an officer who was behind the wheel of his patrol car. Police say Jones, driving a brown Cadillac, ran a stop sign, so the officer followed the suspect to an area behind the Atlantic Plaza in Pittsburg around 5:30.
The officer said the suspect hopped out firing a semi-automatic pistol. The officer returned fire and the suspect ran to his friend's house across Railroad Avenue. Police say the bullet holes struck around the officer head, one of them hitting the headrest, but the police officer was never struck. They still can't figure out how the officer managed to get out unharmed, but say he was quite lucky.
Jones was on parole for an armed robbery conviction.
The neighborhood was locked down for four hours, but the scene has now been cleared.
pittsburg, shooting, crime, east bay news, alan wang
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville 3 min ago
- Bay Area man arrested in Czech murders case
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend 1 min ago
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban
- Man exposes himself outside of hospital in SF
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction 13 min ago
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday