East Bay News
Jury begins deliberations in Bailey murder trial
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The murder trial for slain journalist Chauncey Bailey is now in the hands of an Oakland jury.
Prosecutor Melissa Krum rested her case after telling the jury former Your Black Muslim Bakery leader Yusuf Bey IV and bakery associate Antoine Mackey "are guilty as charged." In her closing arguments, Krum said Bey ordered the hit on Bailey in 2007 because "the pressure cooker is at that point explosive" at the bakery. At that time, Bey had learned his brother-in-law was the primary source in a story Bailey planned to publish about the bakery's financial troubles.
Krum said the story would have been "an expose of the bakery and its decline and defendant Bey's criminal history. That's why it became this pressure cooker moment." "He was an inept leader," Krum said of Bey. "He was ill-equipped to handle his business and he made lots of really stupid decisions."
An attorney for Mackey, the alleged getaway driver, called for a mistrial, saying Krum made "inflammatory, improper" statements when she showed the jury photos of convicted murderers Scott Peterson and Ted Bundy. But Judge Thomas Reardon tossed out the request. He told the lawyers the prosecutor showed the photos as a way to demonstrate that a murderer can appear handsome or charming and still commit a crime. Mackey's attorney had argued he did not have the demeanor of a killer.
Bey and Mackey are charged with the murders of Bailey and two other men. Bey is also charged with shooting at an unoccupied car and Mackey is charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. They both face life in prison.
oakland, crime, trials, east bay news, cecilia vega
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 55 min ago
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos