East Bay News
Oakland student arrested for bringing gun to school
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Police arrested an Oakland High School student Monday after the 15-year-old girl was found in possession of a handgun.
A school district spokesman says the loaded .38-caliber gun was in a backpack the girl was handed after a fight involving her boyfriend. He said the girl never threatened to use the gun.
Police also arrested one of the boys in the fight for having a dagger.
Parents are concerned about on-campus violence and what they say is the school's lackluster response.
"It is dangerous and it is scary for my daughter, and it's not safe for kids going to school," said an Oakland High parent.
Authorities are investigating if the fight was gang related. In addition to criminal charges, the students could also face expulsion.
oakland, crime, guns, east bay news, cecilia vega
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 10 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
12 min ago