East Bay News
Oakland student arrested for bringing gun to school
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Police arrested an Oakland High School student Monday after the 15-year-old girl was found in possession of a handgun.
A school district spokesman says the loaded .38-caliber gun was in a backpack the girl was handed after a fight involving her boyfriend. He said the girl never threatened to use the gun.
Police also arrested one of the boys in the fight for having a dagger.
Parents are concerned about on-campus violence and what they say is the school's lackluster response.
"It is dangerous and it is scary for my daughter, and it's not safe for kids going to school," said an Oakland High parent.
Authorities are investigating if the fight was gang related. In addition to criminal charges, the students could also face expulsion.
oakland, crime, guns, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose 47 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Man with ties to Boston suspect fatally shot by FBI 57 min ago
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday