East Bay News
Oakland student arrested for bringing gun to school
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Police arrested an Oakland High School student Monday after the 15-year-old girl was found in possession of a handgun.
A school district spokesman says the loaded .38-caliber gun was in a backpack the girl was handed after a fight involving her boyfriend. He said the girl never threatened to use the gun.
Police also arrested one of the boys in the fight for having a dagger.
Parents are concerned about on-campus violence and what they say is the school's lackluster response.
"It is dangerous and it is scary for my daughter, and it's not safe for kids going to school," said an Oakland High parent.
Authorities are investigating if the fight was gang related. In addition to criminal charges, the students could also face expulsion.
oakland, crime, guns, east bay news, cecilia vega
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 37 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 34 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos