East Bay News
Man training for cancer fundraiser has bike stolen
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A Castro Valley man trying to do a good deed suffered a major setback when his bike was stolen while he was training for a bicycle event to raise money for cancer research. But, he is not going to give up on his charitable mission.
This past weekend, Dennis Cassalia of Castro Valley participated in a Relay for Life walkathon in San Leandro. His team raised thousands of dollars for cancer victims.
Next, he was getting ready to train for a second fundraiser, the Livestrong event in Davis.
"I came back and I leaned the bike against the car went inside to get a drink of water and used the rest room and changed my clothes when I came back out, the bike was missing," Cassalia said.
His goal was to ride 45 miles in honor of his friend, 24-year-old Nick Botelho, who is undergoing chemotherapy.
"He's a remarkable young man, he, throughout the whole thing, he is the one fighting cancer and he worries about everybody else more than himself," Cassalia said.
Cassalia knows the chances of recovering his bike are slim.
"It's not a high crime area, but unfortunately there are certain people in areas who will steal things when people aren't looking," Alameda County Sheriff's Department spokesperson Sgt. J.D. Nelson said.
Cassalia's wife suggested putting up posters. Instead, they put up a sign outside their house. It reads, "To the person that rode off on my bicycle on Monday, May 23, I was training to do a ride with Livestrong that benefits cancer patients. Do you know what karma is?"
Livestrong is the organization founded by Lance Armstrong, seven time winner of the Tour de France who also battled cancer.
Cassalia says, at this point, there is no giving up.
"I guess I am going to try to borrow a bike do something I got to do the ride, it's just something I got to do," said.
Cassalia has already had several offers from people willing to donate a bike.
If you like to help Dennis get another bike, email him at denniscassalia@ATT.net.
crime, bikes, castro valley, cancer, fundraiser, east bay news, lyanne melendez
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 24 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor 46 min ago
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right 16 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Cal Poly finds frat party didn't violate policies 12 min ago
- FCC considers lifting ban on in-flight cellphone use
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos