East Bay News
2 dead, 1 critically injured in Oakland shooting
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland police are still trying to figure out exactly how an illegal sideshow turned into a violent shooting that killed two people and critically injured a third over the weekend.
Sunday, hundreds of people were gathered for a block party, but one day later, 88th Street and International Boulevard has become a place where family members of two people killed have come to grieve.
Store surveillance video shows Sunday night's sideshow in full force -- cars spinning in circles, doing donuts in the middle of the intersection. Hundreds of people gathered to watch.
Residents say every year for decades there has been a block party outside the East Bay Dragons Motorcycle Club headquarters. But this year it evolved into a sideshow and then a triple shooting.
Garion Morgan heard the shots.
"I say about like 10 because I heard five and I got in the parking lot then more people started screaming and they ran this way, that way this way, everyway," Morgan said.
A 28-year-old San Leandro woman is in critical condition. Two others were pronounced dead at the scene.
One of the victims, Latoya Kenny, 28, was a mother of two. Just minutes before the shooting, her mother said it was time to leave
"Too many youngsters hanging out, the bad driving, you know, just all the bad stuff," Vanessa Barnett said.
Eric Bush, 29, was also killed. His best friend spent the morning cleaning his blood from the sidewalk.
"He's a hard honest working man took care of his family, took care of his kids; he's not a bad man at all," Jasper Wilson said.
Residents say despite the hundreds of people gathered and the sideshow activity, police never showed up to put a stop to it. Police only released a brief statement on the shooting, saying they do not know the motive and they have not made any arrests.
shooting, crime, oakland, east bay news, cecilia vega
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"... 55 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 3 min ago