East Bay News
Sexual assault suspect caught on cellphone video
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman who was sexually assaulted in Oakland managed to take video of her attacker. Now, police are hoping the images will help them track down the suspect.
The 28-year-old woman didn't scream or call 911, but she had the presence of mind to take out her cellphone and shoot video of an intruder in her West Oakland home. Police say moments later the man came back into the home and raped her.
She was home alone on Tuesday morning at 9:40 when she heard a loud crash.
"She went to investigate those loud noises and the video shows exactly what she saw," said Oakland Police Officer Holly Joshi. "There was a strange man, brazenly in her home, gathering her electronics in a box and burglarizing her home. After she shot the video she was sexually assaulted by that perpetrator."
He is described as a black man in his early 40s, 5 foot nine, 160 pounds, and a bald head. He was wearing a white t-shirt and jeans.
The victim was treated at a local hospital and released.
"You can see what a fighter she is and that she's videotaping it and wants to make the report, and is OK with it being out on the air, it's just amazing," said Howard Bloom from Bay Area Women Against Rape.
"She was very much behind the release of the video, she wants justice, she wants the public to be aware of this man so this doesn't happen to another woman," said Joshi.
Oakland police hope someone will identify the suspect and come forward with information.
oakland, crime, east bay news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 51 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets 53 min ago
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 7 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 41 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday