East Bay News
Oakland leaders prepare for Mehserle release
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The site where former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle shot and killed passenger Oscar Grant more than two years ago will be the scene of at least two Bay Area protests to mark Mehserle's release from jail.
That release will come sometime on Monday when Mehserle is expected to walk out of the Los Angeles jail. His release comes a year after his involuntary manslaughter conviction for the fatal shooting of Oscar Grant, an unarmed BART passenger on Oakland's Fruitvale platform on New Year's Day 2009.
It's an event that provoked violent protests in Oakland. City leaders say they're prepared if it happens again.
"It's emotional for a lot of people in Oakland," said Mayor Jean Quan. "We understand that there's some demonstrations that we hope will be as peaceful as last time, but if not we are totally prepared to respond."
Grant's family believes the former BART police officer served far too little time in jail, but attorney Jim Lassart, who has represented police officers in the past, says Mehserle's incarceration period is nothing out of the ordinary.
"He had normal credits that are required because he had been in jail for a period of time before he was sentenced," Lassart said. "The calculations from that are mechanical and driven by statute."
Grant's family has been frustrated and disappointed by the criminal justice system from the beginning, and they have little faith in it now that Mehserle release date has been set.
"The whole system is designed to not allow us to know what is truly happening with this defendant," said Grant's uncle Cephus Johnson. "What I've been experiencing with this system and it's lies and fabrication, and the misinformation that is given -- because they say it's going to happen on June 13th -- doesn't not mean it may happen on June 13th."
BART Police Officer's Association President Jessie Sekhon said Mehserle is Grant's death will linger with the former officer forever.
"I know that this is something he's going to live with for the rest of his life," Sekhon told ABC7 News by phone, "and the same can be said of the men and women of the police department. My condolences go out to Oscar Grant's family as well as to the family of former officer Mehserle."
Oakland Police had little comment today about the protests planned for Sunday evening, except to say they are preparing to facilitate peaceful gatherings.
Mehserle's attorney, Michael Rains, was unavailable for comment today. Rains has said in the past that his client is looking forward to get on with his life and "fade into oblivion."
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, oakland, east bay news, laura anthony
- Freeze Warning expires; chilly temperatures remain 22 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop 33 min ago
- Bay Bridge lanes re-opened after multi-vehicle crash 17 min ago
- US unemployment falls to 7 pct. on 203K jobs added
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Parents sound off on baby seat with iPad-holder
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Hate crime task force; Suspect fatally shot
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
33 min ago
- Benicia residents without power on frigid...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos