East Bay News
Oakland braces for possible Mehserle protests
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The family of BART shooting victim Oscar Grant attended a town hall meeting against violence and abuse by police Saturday evening in Los Angeles.
The meeting came ahead of a planned rally in Oakland protesting the release of former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle, who was convicted of killing Grant on New Year's Day in 2009.
Mehserle will be released after serving one year of his two-year sentence, credit received for good behavior while incarcerated.
Sunday's protest is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. in front of the Fruitvale BART station. At least 100 extra police officers will patrol the streets on Sunday according to a report published by the Oakland Tribune.
"We're not really expecting the kinds of crowds we had in the past," Oakland Mayor Jean Quan said. "In the past, there have been people from outside of town mostly who used this as an occasion for vandalism. We're not expecting that again, but should there be, we're prepared."
Quan said police will be on call and some will receive overtime to keep the streets of Oakland safe.
Looting and vandalism erupted during one of the rallies in Downtown Oakland after the verdict was read during the Mehserle trial.
oscar grant, johannes mehserle, oakland, los angeles, BART, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 1 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer 8 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation 6 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos