East Bay News
Suit says police violated rights of Mehserle protesters
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- On the same day that former BART officer Johannes Mehserle was released after a year in jail for shooting Oscar Grant, a class action lawsuit was filed alleging the Oakland Police Department and the Alameda County Sheriff's Department violated the rights of 150 people who arrested the night Mehserle was sentenced.
Oakland was peaceful Monday, but there was an undercurrent of worry that could be seen in the plywood that was up in some shop windows. Pho 84 restaurant should have been packed at noon, but it was not.
"The customer, they so scared that they don't want to come eat," Huy Hunyh said.
In reality, most of Oakland seemed just plain worn out with protest and this story.
"I think the community has moved on in the sense that there are other topics to cover right now," Donna Means-Taplin said.
But the National Lawyers Guild chose the day to say police wrongfully arrested and imprisoned 150 protestors without cause, violating the city's own crowd control and management policy.
"We would not be here today if the police facilitated the march rather than stopping the march cold in its tracks and corralling people," spokesperson Bobbie Stein said.
The lawsuit seeks an injunction requiring Oakland police to follow the city's rules and unspecified monetary damages.
oscar grant, johannes mehserle, BART, oakland, protest, lawsuit, east bay news, wayne freedman
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580 22 min ago
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town 34 min ago
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- 49ers fear Michael Crabtree has torn Achilles
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M 34 min ago
- Rankings released of best and worst airlines
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting 45 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
34 min ago