East Bay News
Suit says police violated rights of Mehserle protesters
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- On the same day that former BART officer Johannes Mehserle was released after a year in jail for shooting Oscar Grant, a class action lawsuit was filed alleging the Oakland Police Department and the Alameda County Sheriff's Department violated the rights of 150 people who arrested the night Mehserle was sentenced.
Oakland was peaceful Monday, but there was an undercurrent of worry that could be seen in the plywood that was up in some shop windows. Pho 84 restaurant should have been packed at noon, but it was not.
"The customer, they so scared that they don't want to come eat," Huy Hunyh said.
In reality, most of Oakland seemed just plain worn out with protest and this story.
"I think the community has moved on in the sense that there are other topics to cover right now," Donna Means-Taplin said.
But the National Lawyers Guild chose the day to say police wrongfully arrested and imprisoned 150 protestors without cause, violating the city's own crowd control and management policy.
"We would not be here today if the police facilitated the march rather than stopping the march cold in its tracks and corralling people," spokesperson Bobbie Stein said.
The lawsuit seeks an injunction requiring Oakland police to follow the city's rules and unspecified monetary damages.
oscar grant, johannes mehserle, BART, oakland, protest, lawsuit, east bay news, wayne freedman
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine 19 min ago
- Officials investigate cause of house fire 36 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 5 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos