East Bay News
Sarah Shourd to speak at UC Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Sarah Shourd, who spent more than a year in an Iranian prison, will speak Sunday afternoon at the University of California at Berkeley campus as part of a lecture series.
Shourd's fiance, Shane Bauer, remains incarcerated in a Tehran, Iran prison along with friend Josh Fattal. The two along with Shourd were charged with spying after they mistakenly crossed into Iran from the border shared with Iraq in July 2009.
According to Iran's state-run news agency, a court ruling on the charges against Bauer and Fattal is expected between June 22 and August 22nd, which is the court's summer session.
Bauer and Fattal's families say they hope the decision comes soon because both hikers' mental and physical welfare is in grave danger.
Shourd was incarcerated along with Bauer and Fattal for a short time before being released on humanitarian grounds.
uc berkeley, berkeley, iran, east bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident 18 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 37 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 41 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos