East Bay News
Sarah Shourd to speak at UC Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Sarah Shourd, who spent more than a year in an Iranian prison, will speak Sunday afternoon at the University of California at Berkeley campus as part of a lecture series.
Shourd's fiance, Shane Bauer, remains incarcerated in a Tehran, Iran prison along with friend Josh Fattal. The two along with Shourd were charged with spying after they mistakenly crossed into Iran from the border shared with Iraq in July 2009.
According to Iran's state-run news agency, a court ruling on the charges against Bauer and Fattal is expected between June 22 and August 22nd, which is the court's summer session.
Bauer and Fattal's families say they hope the decision comes soon because both hikers' mental and physical welfare is in grave danger.
Shourd was incarcerated along with Bauer and Fattal for a short time before being released on humanitarian grounds.
uc berkeley, berkeley, iran, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos