East Bay News
Sarah Shourd to speak at UC Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Sarah Shourd, who spent more than a year in an Iranian prison, will speak Sunday afternoon at the University of California at Berkeley campus as part of a lecture series.
Shourd's fiance, Shane Bauer, remains incarcerated in a Tehran, Iran prison along with friend Josh Fattal. The two along with Shourd were charged with spying after they mistakenly crossed into Iran from the border shared with Iraq in July 2009.
According to Iran's state-run news agency, a court ruling on the charges against Bauer and Fattal is expected between June 22 and August 22nd, which is the court's summer session.
Bauer and Fattal's families say they hope the decision comes soon because both hikers' mental and physical welfare is in grave danger.
Shourd was incarcerated along with Bauer and Fattal for a short time before being released on humanitarian grounds.
uc berkeley, berkeley, iran, east bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 42 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 16 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
14 min ago