East Bay News
Suspicious device a hoax in Fremont
FREMONT, Calif. -- Authorities in Fremont have determined a suspicious device located early Thursday morning is a hoax.
At about 7:10 a.m., police received a call from someone reporting that a black cylindrical object was found attached to a transformer box in the 48000 block of Kato Road.
Fremont police Sgt. Chris Mazzone said the object is wrapped in electrical tape, has a battery attached to it and a red cap on top, and "looks like it could be an explosive device."
As of about 9:45 a.m. the Alameda County bomb squad was at the scene and evaluating the object. Kato Road is in an industrial area near Interstate Highway 880.
evacuation, fremont, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 36 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 14 min ago
- Kitten stolen from San Francisco shelter
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to 33 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos