East Bay News
Cluster of grass fires still under investigation
OAKLEY, Calif. -- Investigators were still working this afternoon to determine the cause of a cluster of grass fires near Oakley and Knightsen Thursday that charred about 30 acres and destroyed one outbuilding, East Contra Costa County Fire Chief Hugh Henderson said.
Five separate fires started shortly after 1:30 p.m. along the railroad tracks near Knightsen Avenue and Eden Plains Road, fire officials said.
Henderson said fire investigators were working with the railroad operator to see if a train could have sparked the fires, but had yet to come to any conclusions.
Between 75 and 80 fire personnel responded to the four-alarm incident and were able to protect about a dozen homes that were threatened by the flames, Henderson said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control shortly after 3 p.m.
Henderson said the area that burned was mostly grass with some eucalyptus trees and brush.
Luckily for firefighters, temperatures were only in the 80s with a light wind. Flat terrain and some humidity also helped firefighters get the upper hand on the fires.
Henderson said it would most likely be several days before investigators determined a cause of the fires and worked out a damage estimate.
fire, oakley, contra costa county, east bay news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 36 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 10 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos