East Bay News
DNA evidence cracks 1984 cold case murder
PLEASANTON, Calif. (KGO) -- A 43-year-old man faced a judge Wednesday in juvenile court. But the case against him will not stay there. He will be tried as an adult for a murder he's accused of committing when he was 16 years old.
Family members of Tina Faelz came to court. They sat in the front row just yards away from the man accused of murdering the 14-year-old girl in 1984.
Some of her former classmates also came. They said they always had strong suspicions about Steve Carlson.
"There was something about him from elementary school to junior high to high school; he was mean, he was a bully, he had this odd way about him, people feared him," former classmate Lorraine Vener said.
"I do hope it's very short and that they have found the perpetrator and we can put some closure to this," former classmate Sandy Bourasa said.
Carlson is charged with murdering Faelz on April 15, 1984. The 14-year-old was killed while walking home from Foothill High School. She was stabbed numerous times and left to die in a drainage culvert that once crossed underneath Interstate 680.
Carlson, then 16 years old, was a person of interest but police could never implicate him until DNA technology improved decades later.
The break came in 2007 when the FBI crime lab matched DNA evidence to Carlson, now a registered sex offender with a long rap sheet.
On Sunday, Pleasanton police took him into custody from Santa Cruz County Jail, where he had been held on drug charges.
Foothill High School still has a plaque memorializing Faelz next to a tree which was planted in her honor.
Lead investigator Lt. Jim Knox was then a police explorer and helped search for Faelz. The murder haunted him for decades.
"Very difficult to deal with something like this happening in a safe city like Pleasanton," Knox said.
Carlson will be back in court in late September. At that time, they'll start the process to transfer him to superior court to face the murder charge as an adult.
pleasanton, crime, murder, east bay news, vic lee
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 52 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos