East Bay News
Second suspect arrest in shooting death of 3-year-old
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A second suspect in the drive-by shooting death of 3-year-old Carlos Nava in East Oakland last week has been arrested in Las Vegas, Oakland police said today.
Willie Torrence, a 22-year-old Oakland man, was arrested in Las Vegas shortly after 11 p.m. Friday after being spotted in a car, according to police. They said he was on parole for a prior weapon conviction.
Police said they believe Torrence was the driver in the incident in the 6400 block of International Boulevard at about 1:10 p.m. Aug. 8 and wounded two adult males.
Police said they believe the shooting was gang-related and the two adult men were the intended targets in the shooting, as Carlos and his family had no connection with them.
The suspected shooter, 26-year-old Oakland resident Lawrence Denard, was arrested in Pittsburg last Tuesday.
On Thursday, Denard was charged with one count of murder, two counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon. He's scheduled to return to court Aug. 29 to enter a plea.
According to a probable cause statement filed in court by detectives, one of the men who was shot provided Torrence's name when he was questioned at the hospital where he is being treated.
Investigators also located an additional witness who identified the shooter as Denard.
Oakland police said the Alameda County District Attorney's Office will review Torrence's case later this week, after he is extradited from Las Vegas.
crime, shooting, east bay news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach 41 min ago
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 39 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd 16 min ago