East Bay News
Road closed while police investigate fatal incident
CONCORD, Calif. -- A man shot and killed himself during a traffic stop in Concord Thursday, Concord police Lt. Steve Dyer said.
At about 9:20 a.m., a CHP officer on patrol saw a driver who appeared to be impaired heading east on state Highway 4 near Port Chicago Highway, and initiated an enforcement stop, Concord police said.
The driver exited onto southbound Port Chicago Highway and pulled over near Panoramic Drive.
When the officer went to talk to the man, who was alone in the car, the man shot himself, Dyer said.
He was transported to John Muir Medical Center in Concord, where he died from his injuries.
The CHP, Concord police and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are investigating the case, as is protocol whenever there is an officer-involved fatality.
Southbound Port Chicago Highway was closed to traffic between Panoramic Drive and Arnold Industrial Way for about five hours during the investigation.
The off-ramp from eastbound state Highway 4 to Port Chicago Highway was also closed.
The area was reopened at about 2:30 p.m., police said.
concord, east bay news
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos