East Bay News
Arson suspected in middle school fire
FREMONT, Calif. -- An arson investigation is under way into a fire at Walters Junior High in Fremont on Wednesday night, fire officials said.
Firefighters arrived at the school, located at 39600 Logan Drive, around 7:15 p.m. after community members reported seeing smoke.
Crews found flames coming from the locker room area. The one-alarm fire was controlled within 30 minutes, and was confined to an interior wall, according to the fire department.
Principal Brian Weems arrived shortly after the fire was extinguished.
"It was not as bad as I thought it would be," Weems said. "It just affected the wall between the boys' and girls' locker rooms."
Fire investigators estimated the damage at about $100,000, and Weems said evaluators from the insurance company would be doing their own assessment this afternoon.
Classes, which begin Wednesday, will not be affected, Weems said.
"It may cause problems depending on if there is asbestos or smoke residue that we don't want the children to breathe," he said. "It will be sealed off completely if that's the case."
Tests will be completed by the end of the week to determine if there are any health hazards, he said.
Weems said the locker rooms are only used for physical education classes.
"Classes will still take place. They just won't change (clothes)," he said of students.
Fremont fire Capt. Gerry Fogel said investigators believe the fire was set intentionally, but it is not clear whether the perpetrators are affiliated with the school.
Weems said that since he became principal last year, there have not been any acts of vandalism. He said he is grateful to neighbors for reporting the blaze.
"The community called the fire station before the alarm even went off," he said. "Their quick response minimized the damage."
fremont, fire, arson, east bay news
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash 37 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor 59 min ago
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right 29 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Cal Poly finds frat party didn't violate policies 25 min ago
- FCC considers lifting ban on in-flight cellphone use
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos