East Bay News
Report of elder abuse leads to lengthy standoff
SAN RAMON -- A SWAT team was called to a San Ramon home Thursday afternoon in what became an all-night standoff after an elderly woman's adult son was allegedly beating her, San Ramon police said.
Officers responded at about 4 p.m. to reports of elder abuse at a home in the 500 block of Morning Glory Court.
Officers attempted to contact the woman and the suspect, who they identified as Steven Sanoff Jr., 44, at the home but heard no response when they called and knocked on the door, police said.
The San Ramon police SWAT team was called to the house and crisis negotiators continued to attempt to contact the victim and suspect. After three hours of no contact, SWAT officers broke down the front window and saw Sanoff run into the upstairs area of the home, according to police.
The elderly victim was able to walk onto the front porch and was rescued by SWAT officers. Crisis negotiators continued to try to make contact with Sanoff, but were unsuccessful.
After several more hours of no response, SWAT officers released non-lethal chemicals into the house. Five minutes later, Sanoff fled out the back door and was taken into custody after a brief struggle.
Sanoff was booked at the Martinez Detention Facility on suspicion of elder abuse and battery, police said.
san ramon, east bay news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey 2 min ago
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
59 min ago