East Bay News
1 dead, 2 injured during botched bank robbery
PINOLE, Calif. (KGO) -- The attempted robbery of an armored truck ended in a gun battle with police in Pinole Tuesday.
One suspect is dead and another is in the hospital. A police officer and security guard were also wounded.
It began around 9:00 a.m. outside the Wells Fargo off Fitzgerald Drive when a security guard got into a shootout with a pair of would-be robbers. When police arrived, a second shootout erupted and one of the suspects was killed.
"I heard a couple of shots go off and there was a guy running out in the street with a bag of money and I saw him collapse, and when he fell he never moved again," said Darius Johnson of Richmond.
Police say a second robber got away. They shut down much of Fitzgerald Drive to search for him. That suspect later turned up at a nearby hospital with a gunshot wound. An officer was also hurt.
"My understanding is it was one shot that our officer took to the shoulder," said Pinole Police Chief John Hardester. "He has been transported to a hospital and he's being treated,"
The security guard is also being treated for a gunshot wound. At last report, she was in surgery.
pinole, crime, shooting, east bay news, mark matthews
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup 38 min ago
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee from Gevalia
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday