East Bay News
1 dead, 2 injured during botched bank robbery
PINOLE, Calif. (KGO) -- The attempted robbery of an armored truck ended in a gun battle with police in Pinole Tuesday.
One suspect is dead and another is in the hospital. A police officer and security guard were also wounded.
It began around 9:00 a.m. outside the Wells Fargo off Fitzgerald Drive when a security guard got into a shootout with a pair of would-be robbers. When police arrived, a second shootout erupted and one of the suspects was killed.
"I heard a couple of shots go off and there was a guy running out in the street with a bag of money and I saw him collapse, and when he fell he never moved again," said Darius Johnson of Richmond.
Police say a second robber got away. They shut down much of Fitzgerald Drive to search for him. That suspect later turned up at a nearby hospital with a gunshot wound. An officer was also hurt.
"My understanding is it was one shot that our officer took to the shoulder," said Pinole Police Chief John Hardester. "He has been transported to a hospital and he's being treated,"
The security guard is also being treated for a gunshot wound. At last report, she was in surgery.
pinole, crime, shooting, east bay news, mark matthews
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation 42 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos