East Bay News
1 dead, 2 injured during botched bank robbery
PINOLE, Calif. (KGO) -- The attempted robbery of an armored truck ended in a gun battle with police in Pinole Tuesday.
One suspect is dead and another is in the hospital. A police officer and security guard were also wounded.
It began around 9:00 a.m. outside the Wells Fargo off Fitzgerald Drive when a security guard got into a shootout with a pair of would-be robbers. When police arrived, a second shootout erupted and one of the suspects was killed.
"I heard a couple of shots go off and there was a guy running out in the street with a bag of money and I saw him collapse, and when he fell he never moved again," said Darius Johnson of Richmond.
Police say a second robber got away. They shut down much of Fitzgerald Drive to search for him. That suspect later turned up at a nearby hospital with a gunshot wound. An officer was also hurt.
"My understanding is it was one shot that our officer took to the shoulder," said Pinole Police Chief John Hardester. "He has been transported to a hospital and he's being treated,"
The security guard is also being treated for a gunshot wound. At last report, she was in surgery.
pinole, crime, shooting, east bay news, mark matthews
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die 45 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday