East Bay News
Caltrans crews demolish skate park under I-580
BORDER OF EMERYVILLE, OAKLAND (KGO) -- A labor of love by a group of athletic young people was torn down under I-580 at the Oakland, Emeryville border. Caltrans says a skateboard park there is illegal. The skateboarders say it keeps kids out of trouble.
Alex Fatemi took one last ride around a skateboard park that he and his friends built by hands a couple of years ago. He can't understand why Caltrans crews are tearing it down Thursday morning.
"We have been painting over the graffiti and we have cleanup days where we pick up the trash. I don't know why they don't see that as a positive push for something good," said Fatemi.
But the state doesn't see it that way.
"The harm in letting it go is that number one it sets a precedent, and number two there are liability issues, and there are crime issues, homelessness issues, all sorts of issues that arise," said Caltrans spokesperson Bob Haus.
There had been hope of leaving the spot open and perhaps working out a deal with Caltrans. But skateboarders say, with redevelopment agencies on the way out and the economy what it is, officials in Oakland and Emeryville were unable to come up with the money for the $5,000 per month lease that Caltrans wanted.
Fatemi took his petition of 600 signatures to plead his case with Caltrans crews one more time, but the fate of the park was sealed.
"I feel like something has been taken from me that I cherish so much. I was in love with this place and now someone is going to kill it. They are going to kill it, it sucks," said Fatemi.
CHP officers came in to tell Fatemi that the ride was over. When Fatemi was asked by ABC7 News where he would go from here, he said he would take his board to the streets.
Caltrans said it is negotiating with a billboard company for the land. There is another skatepark nearby that will also be taken down by Caltrans.
emeryville, caltrans, I-580, oakland, east bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Wounded police officer back in surgery 1 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery 39 min ago
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 52 min ago
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire 1 min ago
- Officials investigating acid spill at...
39 min ago