East Bay News
San Ramon man killed by car on sidewalk
FREMONT, Calif. -- A San Ramon man died Wednesday after being struck by a vehicle and dragged down an embankment near Interstate Highway 680 in Fremont, police said.
The man, 47-year-old John Soopikian, was involved in a crash with a 37-year-old San Ramon woman on southbound I-680 at 9:30 a.m. when they exited the freeway to exchange information, Fremont police said.
The two stopped on the north curb of Washington Boulevard, just off the Washington off-ramp, and were exchanging information on the sidewalk.
As this happened, a 2004 Buick LeSabre, driven by an 83-year-old Fremont man, curbed the sidewalk and struck Soopikian, police said.
The car continued down an embankment, coming to a rest against a chain-link fence and a tree.
Police found Soopikian pinned underneath the car. The 83-year-old man was found in the car but unresponsive.
Both were transported to San Jose Regional Trauma Center. Soopikian was pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.
The condition of the 83-year-old man was admitted but his condition has not been released.
Drugs or alcohol did not seem to be a factor, and the crash is still under investigation, police said.
fremont, crash, san ramon, I-680, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 23 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy 29 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos