East Bay News
San Ramon man killed by car on sidewalk
FREMONT, Calif. -- A San Ramon man died Wednesday after being struck by a vehicle and dragged down an embankment near Interstate Highway 680 in Fremont, police said.
The man, 47-year-old John Soopikian, was involved in a crash with a 37-year-old San Ramon woman on southbound I-680 at 9:30 a.m. when they exited the freeway to exchange information, Fremont police said.
The two stopped on the north curb of Washington Boulevard, just off the Washington off-ramp, and were exchanging information on the sidewalk.
As this happened, a 2004 Buick LeSabre, driven by an 83-year-old Fremont man, curbed the sidewalk and struck Soopikian, police said.
The car continued down an embankment, coming to a rest against a chain-link fence and a tree.
Police found Soopikian pinned underneath the car. The 83-year-old man was found in the car but unresponsive.
Both were transported to San Jose Regional Trauma Center. Soopikian was pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.
The condition of the 83-year-old man was admitted but his condition has not been released.
Drugs or alcohol did not seem to be a factor, and the crash is still under investigation, police said.
fremont, crash, san ramon, I-680, east bay news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery 20 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer 58 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting 26 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation 57 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley 45 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Campaign looks to end use of 'bossy' with...
35 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San...
58 min ago