East Bay News
Hostage situation ends at Office Depot
OAKLAND, Calif. -- A suspect who held hostages overnight at an Emeryville office supply store was taken into custody this morning, an Oakland police officer said.
In what appears to have started as a robbery, a suspect held an unknown number of people hostage at an Office Depot at 3535 Hollis St. starting at 9:36 p.m. Police were in a standoff with the suspect until after 4 a.m., Oakland police Officer Kevin McDonald said.
Police entered the building around 4 a.m., after which the suspect was taken into custody. When police entered the store it appeared the hostages had been released, McDonald said.
The nearby Home Depot hardware store had been evacuated Friday night and most of the Office Depot employees were out of the building late Friday night, police said.
Roads around the area had been closed, but are expected to be reopened this morning, police said.
The Office Depot is located at the Oakland-Emeryville border.
crime, standoff, oakland, emeryville, east bay news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos