East Bay News
Abandoned Circuit City catches fire in Newark
NEWARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Firefighters in Newark are mopping up after a fire raced through an abandoned Circuit City building on Saturday.
The fire broke out just after 2:30 p.m. at the Mowry Avenue building. The blaze put out a plume of thick, black smoke that could be seen for miles.
Firefighters were concerned that a homeless person might have been trapped in the building, but a search of the burned structure turned up empty.
The fire has been extinguished. There were no injuries reported.
fire, newark, east bay news
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos