East Bay News
Abandoned Circuit City catches fire in Newark
NEWARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Firefighters in Newark are mopping up after a fire raced through an abandoned Circuit City building on Saturday.
The fire broke out just after 2:30 p.m. at the Mowry Avenue building. The blaze put out a plume of thick, black smoke that could be seen for miles.
Firefighters were concerned that a homeless person might have been trapped in the building, but a search of the burned structure turned up empty.
The fire has been extinguished. There were no injuries reported.
fire, newark, east bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday