East Bay News
St. Mary's student reports rape, second in 2 weeks
MORAGA, Calif. -- Police are investigating a rape that reportedly took place on Sunday on the Saint Mary's college campus - the second report of a sexual assault at the school in just over two weeks.
Police arrived on campus around 6 p.m. Sunday after school security alerted them of the report, in which a female student alleged that two male acquaintances raped her in an on-campus dorm room, Moraga police Chief Robert Priebe said.
The reported rape comes on the heels of a sexual assault reported Sept. 13 on the Moraga campus that led to an 18-year-old student's arrest. Priebe said police are now awaiting lab test results in the investigation of that sexual assault.
"It's very disappointing to have two rapes reported in two weeks, this early in the school year," Priebe said, adding that he plans to meet with college officials to address the issue.
Saint Mary's spokeswoman J. Elizabeth Smith stressed the college's resolve to doing just that.
"It's tragic that these incidents occur, but we're committed to educating our community and raising awareness about the issue...and supporting our students," Smith said.
She said the school's Women's Resource Center is set to host a rally this week to raise awareness about sexual assault, while resident advisors will speak to dorm residents about the issue this week.
moraga, east bay news
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday