East Bay News
Man fatally shot near motorcycle club in Oakland
OAKLAND (KGO) -- An Oakland community is outraged and grieving after a deadly shooting outside a motorcycle club where a popular club member was killed.
The victim, identified as 40-year-old Hassan Sayyid, was a member of the East Bay Dragons Motorcycle Club. Police say they don't know the motive, but there's little doubt that Sayyid was targeted.
Friends of Sayyid gathered outside the East Bay Dragons Motorcycle Club Wednesday morning to mourn their loss. There were candles and flowers for the man they called 'Stuttering Ike,' and amid the candles and flowers, there was outrage.
"I know the people around here loved him," said friend Tiffany P. "He used to see my children. He'd give them money. He'd say hello to us. He'll make sure (that we're) okay. I don't know what happened, I don't understand it."
Police say the shooting happened shortly after 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
"The information that we have so far in the investigation tells us that our victim was seated in the garage area of the clubhouse sitting around with friends when the suspect approached on foot," said Ofc. Johnna Watson with the Oakland Police Department. "Suspect blatantly opened fire on our victim and then fled the scene on foot."
Sayyid later died at a hospital.
Although there were witnesses, police are not releasing a description of the suspect at the moment and are looking into eyewitness accounts that the suspect wore a mask.
"Ike (was) a person that smiled all the time and laughed," said friend Sharolyn Stevenson. "He stuttered, made jokes."
On May 29, two people were shot to death and a third person wounded near the same motorcycle club. Police are still investigating those killings. Police say there is quite a bit of violence on International Boulevard near the club, but the club itself was not a focal point of Tuesday's violence.
"He did not deserve to die," Tiffany said. "It's a black-on-black crime. It has to stop. It's sad."
Police say they are still investigating the incident. If anyone has any information, they are asked to call Oakland Police Department's Major Crimes Section at 510-238-3821.
shooting, oakland, OPD, east bay news, terry mcsweeney
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos