East Bay News
Police seek costumed robbers in the East Bay
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- A series of bizarre and violent armed robberies in the East Bay has prompted several law enforcement agencies to meet to form a strategy.
About 3:30 a.m. Thursday, six armed people walked into a food shop at a Valero gas station in Walnut Creek wearing Halloween costumes. In the middle of the night they came, some with handguns some with rifles. Surveillance cameras are everywhere in the Walnut Creek store; a person who has seen the video says it shows six people in costumes, one dressed as a guerrilla, another as a skeleton.
In addition to the small amount of money in the register, robbers took two large bottles of 7UP and several packs of condoms; no beer, no cigarettes -- nothing but the money, the soda and the condoms. No shots were fired inside the food shop, but as they left, one of the costumed crooks fired a round in the direction of a customer pumping gas. No one was hit. The suspects drove westbound on Ygnacio Valley Road.
Just two hours before the robbery in Walnut Creek, a similar group of thieves robbed an Antioch FoodMaxx. There was a similar kind of robbery on Tuesday at a Pleasant Hill 7-Eleven. Representatives of those law enforcement agencies are meeting today at an undisclosed location. The FBI has joined the investigation in an advisory capacity.
crime, pleasant hill, antioch, walnut creek, east bay news, terry mcsweeney
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in SF near Stern Grove 51 min ago
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos