East Bay News
Woman carjacked, escapes kidnapping
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- A 19-year-old woman was carjacked Thursday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot in Antioch after a man attacked her with a knife, police said.
The victim told police just as she pulled into a parking spot in front of the Walmart at 4893 Lone Tree Way, the suspect -- later identified as 58-year-old Antioch resident David Karcher -- entered her car through the front passenger door around 3:35 p.m.
Karcher allegedly had a knife and assaulted the victim while threatening her. The woman received minor injuries and did not need medical treatment, police said.
Karcher attempted to kidnap the woman in her car but after a brief struggle she was able to break free and run away. Karcher then jumped into the driver's seat and drove off in the victim's car, according to police.
The car was equipped with a GPS, and the victim's father was able to track the vehicle through a computer and provide real-time updates to police.
With the assistance of Brentwood police, officers were able to locate the stolen car and stopped the man driving in an area near the state Highway 4 bypass and Sand Creek Road in Brentwood.
Karcher was taken into custody by Antioch and Brentwood police without incident. Records show Karcher has an extensive criminal history and several outstanding felony warrants out for his arrest, police said.
He was booked at the Martinez Detention Facility.
antioch, walmart, crime, east bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges 39 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday 51 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF 3 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos