East Bay News
Woman carjacked, escapes kidnapping
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- A 19-year-old woman was carjacked Thursday afternoon in a Walmart parking lot in Antioch after a man attacked her with a knife, police said.
The victim told police just as she pulled into a parking spot in front of the Walmart at 4893 Lone Tree Way, the suspect -- later identified as 58-year-old Antioch resident David Karcher -- entered her car through the front passenger door around 3:35 p.m.
Karcher allegedly had a knife and assaulted the victim while threatening her. The woman received minor injuries and did not need medical treatment, police said.
Karcher attempted to kidnap the woman in her car but after a brief struggle she was able to break free and run away. Karcher then jumped into the driver's seat and drove off in the victim's car, according to police.
The car was equipped with a GPS, and the victim's father was able to track the vehicle through a computer and provide real-time updates to police.
With the assistance of Brentwood police, officers were able to locate the stolen car and stopped the man driving in an area near the state Highway 4 bypass and Sand Creek Road in Brentwood.
Karcher was taken into custody by Antioch and Brentwood police without incident. Records show Karcher has an extensive criminal history and several outstanding felony warrants out for his arrest, police said.
He was booked at the Martinez Detention Facility.
antioch, walmart, crime, east bay news
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Windy conditions cause damage around Bay Area 16 min ago
- Man with ties to Boston suspect fatally shot by FBI
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
22 min ago