East Bay News
Suspect arrested in Livermore for home burglary
LIVERMORE, Calif. -- Officers arrested a man suspected of burglarizing a home in Livermore Friday morning, police said.
A woman reported seeing a person in her backyard in the 5400 block of Kathy Way and heard the sound of someone forcing entry into her home, according to police.
Police established a perimeter around the house while a team of officers entered the home to assist the victim, who had locked herself in an upstairs bedroom.
As officers entered the house through the rear door, the suspect attempted to flee the house through the front door, police said.
The suspect feigned surrender when confronted by officers and then attempted to run away. Police apprehended the man, who was carrying property belonging to the victim, nearby on Norma Way, according to police.
The suspect was identified as Brian Hayes of Castro Valley.
Police said Hayes had been knocking on doors in the neighborhood a few days earlier, asking for someone by the name of "Richard."
Police believe that Hayes used the "door checking" technique, which involves the suspect checking the knob and gaining entry to unlocked homes and vehicles.
Police said this technique has become a trend that has been used in many residential and automobile burglaries throughout the city. Authorities are reminding residents to lock all doors and windows and to remove shrubbery that blocks the view of doors and windows.
livermore, east bay news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River 1 min ago
- Preliminary 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 20 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders 50 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Report: Most California beaches had clean water in 2012
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San... 12 min ago
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- America's Cup teams practice on San...
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos