East Bay News
2 Amtrak trains collide injuring 18 in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Train service was halted at the Oakland Jack London Square Amtrak station Wednesday night when one train collided into another. It happened shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday.
The Oakland Fire Department was on scene assessing the situation and said that at least 18 people were injured. They called it a major emergency response and six ambulances were also called to the scene.
Initial reports indicate the injuries to passengers and crew on board appear to be non-life threatening and most of them include whiplash. One train involved was Amtrak's Coast Starlight train that runs from Seattle to Los Angeles and the other was Amtrak's San Joaquin train that runs from Bakersfield to Oakland. It appears the Coast Starlight was traveling at a low speed and crashed into the stationary San Joaquin train that was boarding and deboarding inside the Oakland Station.
The impact derailed one of the trains. Railroad inspectors are trying to figure out how it all happened. A railroad worker told ABC7 the switching mechanism was not activated and it is still in the wrong position that led the two trains to collide.
For those interested in updates on Amtrak service, you can call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit their website for the latest alerts and passenger notices.
oakland, east bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 48 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed 16 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Bay Point man arrested in connection with '95 murder 4 min ago
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach 58 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set 57 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
48 min ago
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos