East Bay News
2 Amtrak trains collide injuring 18 in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Train service was halted at the Oakland Jack London Square Amtrak station Wednesday night when one train collided into another. It happened shortly after 10 p.m. Wednesday.
The Oakland Fire Department was on scene assessing the situation and said that at least 18 people were injured. They called it a major emergency response and six ambulances were also called to the scene.
Initial reports indicate the injuries to passengers and crew on board appear to be non-life threatening and most of them include whiplash. One train involved was Amtrak's Coast Starlight train that runs from Seattle to Los Angeles and the other was Amtrak's San Joaquin train that runs from Bakersfield to Oakland. It appears the Coast Starlight was traveling at a low speed and crashed into the stationary San Joaquin train that was boarding and deboarding inside the Oakland Station.
The impact derailed one of the trains. Railroad inspectors are trying to figure out how it all happened. A railroad worker told ABC7 the switching mechanism was not activated and it is still in the wrong position that led the two trains to collide.
For those interested in updates on Amtrak service, you can call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit their website for the latest alerts and passenger notices.
oakland, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"... 58 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 6 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
2 min ago