East Bay News
Conservative student group plans pro-corporation rally
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- A conservative student group will hold a counter demonstration at the site of 'Occupy Berkeley" on Saturday.
The Bay Area College Republicans, a localized version of the California College Republicans, plans hold a counter demonstration to the 'Occupy Berkeley' movement at the Shattuck Avenue Bank of America branch, where the 'Occupy' demonstrators have been camped for several days.
The group said they intend to "walk to Bank of America with signs (and) American flags to yell at hippies" in order to show support for corporations, according to the event's Facebook page.
An event organizer told ABC7 the group expects around 20 people to show up to their rally.
The group supports, but is separate from, the Berkeley College Republicans, which held a racially-themed bake sale last month that garnished national attention.
The 'Occupy Berkeley' movement is one of several localized version of the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement, which organized nearly a month ago in New York City to protest what they consider is the greed and injustice by bankers and corporations that they say contributed to the downturn of the country's economy.
bank of america, berkeley, occupy wall street, republicans, east bay news
- South African leader Nelson Mandela has died 57 min ago
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Cal signs $18M deal for naming rights at stadium
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- 5th day of searching for SJ CEO turns up empty 48 min ago
- Bay Area bundles up as frigid weather continues
- Marcus Books strikes deal with owners to stay
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: Radiant Orchid 2014 Color of the Year
- roundup: Sports Cap Bandit; SF hit-and-run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday