East Bay News
Alhambra High School lockdown lifted
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- Alhambra High School in Martinez was put on lockdown Thursday morning after a teacher found an empty handgun case on the campus, a school district official said.
The gun was found on the ground in front of the school, located at 150 E St., at about 9 a.m., Martinez Unified School District Assistant Superintendent Rick Rubino said.
"When you find a handgun case without the handgun on a school campus, it could be a serious matter," Rubino said.
School officials called Martinez police, and police sent 11 officers to the campus, he said.
The campus was put on lockdown at about 10:20 a.m. as police and school personnel went from classroom to classroom searching backpacks and other belongings, Rubino said. Lockers were also searched.
The search concluded at about 12:30 p.m. and the lockdown was lifted, he said.
"We've determined that there is no weapon on campus and the kids are safe," he said.
He said parents had been notified of the situation through email and an automated phone notification system. The school also posted updates on its website.
"As always, our number-one priority is the safety of our students," Rubino said.
Classes have resumed, and school is scheduled to let out today shortly after 2 p.m.
school lockdown, martinez, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire burning at building near China Basin 1 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major BART delays due to Balboa Park station incident
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos