East Bay News
Woman killed while running across I-680
MARTINEZ, Calif. -- A woman was hit by a vehicle and killed while running across Interstate Highway 680 east of Martinez on Sunday night, according to California Highway Patrol officials.
The 53-year-old woman from Concord ran west across the traffic lanes of southbound I-680 south of Pacheco Boulevard shortly after 11:30 p.m.
At the time, Janko Trifunovic, Jr., 35, of Brentwood was driving south with Melissa Meeks, 31, also of Brentwood and three children in a 2005 Honda when the woman ran in front of their car.
CHP officers said that Trifunovic was unable to avoid a collision with the woman, who fell in the road after being struck by the car.
Several more vehicles also struck the woman, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers suspect that the woman may have been under the influence of alcohol.
CHP officers are asking anyone with information regarding the incident to contact CHP at (925) 646-4980.
martinez, I-680, east bay news
- Underground fire forcing evacuations in Oakland 42 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- 'Radioactive' package found at Lafayette intersection 48 min ago
- Black ice on I-280 near crash in San Mateo County
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Oakland robberies; Pitcher makes donation
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday