East Bay News
Oscar Grant's family to hold rally in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Saturday marks one year since the sentencing of former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle in the shooting death of passenger Oscar Grant.
Mehserle was released in June after serving 11 months and receiving credit for time served after his involuntary manslaughter conviction by a Los Angeles jury.
Family and friends of Grant will hold a rally from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at Oakland's Frank Ogawa Plaza. Participants in the rally will call for an end to what they describe as a "policy of police containment of the African and Latino communities."
Grant was killed on New Year's Day in 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station in Oakland.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, shooting, east bay news
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 91
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday