East Bay News
Oscar Grant's family to hold rally in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Saturday marks one year since the sentencing of former BART police officer Johannes Mehserle in the shooting death of passenger Oscar Grant.
Mehserle was released in June after serving 11 months and receiving credit for time served after his involuntary manslaughter conviction by a Los Angeles jury.
Family and friends of Grant will hold a rally from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday at Oakland's Frank Ogawa Plaza. Participants in the rally will call for an end to what they describe as a "policy of police containment of the African and Latino communities."
Grant was killed on New Year's Day in 2009 at the Fruitvale BART station in Oakland.
johannes mehserle, oscar grant, shooting, east bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 27 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy 33 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation...
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos